Wednesday, October 27, 2004

A Skunk On Fire...

I'm really not quite sure how to describe the smell. It started out as a cloying nuisance, and quickly turned into what I can only describe as someone's rear end on fire. We think the cat startled a skunk, but judging from the smell, I think he startled several dozen.

Being asthmatic, I've always enjoyed the special commune I have with the atmosphere, and when that atmosphere is compromised in any way, the doorstep of death is not too far behind. For instance, on a normal day, I may need a puff or two of the inhaler to get through the day...no big deal. However, with the skunk, so far, I've needed nine, and still am thinking that the hospital could be in my near future.

I don't think I've ever smelled anything as bad, the hairs inside my nose were singed and I think I'm eyebrowless. All I can think of is how this nasty stench could come from one small creature. I can tell you for sure that were I a panther, or bear, or some animal that might catch and eat live meat, I sure as heck would stay away from the black and white fiend that has maintained a near continuous assault on my senses for the last hour.

1 comment:

FarmerW said...

Did I ever tell you about the time we shot a skunk in the barn? We learned that the smell can last for over a year coming back each timer it rained...which can be pretty much every day in NY.