Saturday, March 04, 2006

POUTINE!


Well, I guess there's a first time for everything. We drove over to Canada today to get some meat pies and sausage rolls, and stopped at a restaurant over there to have some fish. The waittress gave us the menus and the first thing on it was POUTINE.

You know I laughed out loud.

Upon further inspection, I discovered that POUTINE is a dish consisting of French Fries drizzled with gravy and melted mozzarella. Evidently, it is very popular in Canada; if for nothing else than because people probably just like saying the name. (I've said it quite a bit since the discovery!)

So, of course, we had to order some.

I kid you not, it was the best thing I've ever eaten. The french fries were thick, with beef gravy, and tons of cheese. They served it on a trough-sized plate and we all shared it. The plate was spotless when the waittress came back to remove it. It was SOOOOO good!

Afterward, we all had emergency bypass surgery to unclog our arteries. They do it right there in the restaurant. It's called "The Poutine Routine" and you just lay back and watch Canadian TV while they vacuum you out. It's only $12.95 extra. (But that's Canadian money...so it's really only like $3.50)

Anyway...if you have the chance...try it. It's delicious! It makes me wonder what else would be good with gravy and cheese. It's a combination I hadn't before now considered, but now see a plethora of possibilities with.

No comments: